- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Total Time: 16 minute
- Yield: 2-4 portions 1x
1lb pee wee potatoes
1-quart water (cold)
1 tbsp salt
2–3 springs of mint (chiffonade cut)
1–2 springs of parsley (chiffonade cut)
1–2 tbsp feta cheese
Infused Ethiopian Oil
1 cups vegetable oil
2 tbsp red onion (minced)
1 tbsp garlic (minced)
½ tbsp ginger (minced)
¼ tsp cardamom
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ajwain seeds
¼ tsp fenugreek
¼ tsp turmeric
3 each basil leaves (optional)
3 each coves
⅛ tsp nutmeg
- Using a medium pot, add cold water, salt, and potatoes
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until tender
- Chef Note: Use a toothpick or fork to check the potatoes by inserting it into the biggest one. If the toothpick comes out clean, it’s cooked! On the other hand, if the potato does not come off, it might need extra time.
- Once cooked, strain from the water, place on a baking tray to cook for about 10-15 minutes
- Once cool, use the side of your knife to slightly smash the potatoes
- Using a dry pan, add ajwain, cardamom, cinnamon, fenugreek, turmeric, and nutmeg
- Over medium heat, toast the spices until fragrant
- Chefs note: make sure you are periodically moving the pan to prevent spices from burning
- Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan and bring to a simmer
- Decrease the heat to low (the oil should barely bubble) and cook, occasionally stirring, until the onion is soft and translucent and the oil is fragrant for about 15 minutes
- Move from the heat and let the oil cool until it reaches room temperature
- Strain and press out as much oil as possible from the solids before discarding them
Cooking the Potatoes
- Add about 1-2 tbsp of the infused oil to a medium saute pan and pre-heat for about 60 seconds
- Add the smashed potatoes to the pan, in a single layer
- Chefs note: Do not overcrowd your pan, make sure the potatoes are spread out evenly.
- All the potatoes to cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and repeat the process
- Once all of the potatoes are cooked, remove them from the pan, time to serve!
- Finish them with the parsley, mint and feta for garnish
- Oh! and don’t forget to finish the dish with your beautiful oil!!
- Let’s eat!
- Serving Size: 3-4oz per order
Looking forward to trying it!